Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Leave it at home

I do not understand why someone would spend a nice chunk of their money on a toy for a child and then allow them to take it with them away from the home for the sake of "because she likes it".
For one thing, if I were to do so, I would keep a sharp eye on that toy. I have done this and made sure the toy was kept up with and if the child got done with it, then I put it away in my purse or diaper bag.

I hear stories of kids who had a 'blankie' they always had with them up until their teenage years. And, whose fault is this? Not the child's. It is the parent's fault.
If you don't allow your kids to take toys or blankies with them out of the house the first time, then you shouldn't ever have that battle.
Win it the first time (couple times) and it'll be the end of it.

I understand if it is a new toy, blah blah blah. Leave it at home. They can have it when they get back. No big deal.

I do take bunnies, blankets, and bears, etc. on trips out of town with us. If you do this, you must be careful to put items where they cannot fall out of the car and be missed at gas stations or what have you.
I have a friend who lost a cat, which is why I bring this up. It was really sad for them and they had to replace the cat with something completely different.
I have had things left behind and we just did without. Usually by that time, though, they didn't need it as much as they thought.

What is my point? I don't know exactly. Just don't take precious items out of the house if it is going to be a big deal if it is lost and never found... only to get mad and upset when others are not accomodating to your lost item.

No comments: